Public Land Survey System
PLSS to Latitude and Longitude
Note: Only a Meridian or a County is required, not both.
Note: Fractions are Rare. If in doubt, Leave Fractions Blank
S2 T35N R21W Chisago County, Minnesota
Section 2, Township 35 North, Range 21 West, Fourth Principal Extended
Latitude and Longitude to PLSS
Latitude 37.96197 Longitude -121.81423
Latitude 37° 57' 43" N Longitude 121° 48' 51" W
A New Version using December 2018 Data
Updated: January 21, 2020
- New Subscriber Version
- New Demo Version
- This version has full Montanna data.
- Many areas in the other states are also more accurate.
- This version has a more visual interface, which was optimized to explore the dataset.
- You can drill down by clicking on the land map, but you need to click the calc button to get the latitude and longitude.
- There are few subdivisions beyond the sections and quarter sections.
- Some data is missing in this version that is included in the old version.
- There are various issues with the names (and lack of names) on the very small land parcels in several states.
Public Land Survey System (PLSS)
The Public Land Survey System (PLSS) is the surveying method used in the United States to divide real property.
It is regulated by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
Common Names for this System of Land Surveying
- Legal Land Description
- Public Land Survey System
- Rectangular Survey System
- United States Public Land Survey
- Rectangular System of Surveys
- U.S. Government Survey
- Official Government Survey
- Township and Range System
- "According to the Government Survey Thereof"
Principal Meridians and Base Lines
Rectangular Survey System
Township Numbering Diagram
Typical Section Subdivisions
Original T1S R1E Mount Diablo Survey Plat
Becoming a Subscriber